Thursday, June 09, 2005

Birthday, Work and a Visa!

On June 7th 2005, I got my H1B Visa. This visa lets me live and work in the United States for a period of six years.

It was the best birthday present I could have ever received. My excitement is too much to be described in written form. But I am gonna write something about it obviously.

During the course of the past few months I was bombarded by help, advise and suggestions all the time. Friends, relatives, parents...all of them geared up to give me what they thought was 'much needed' advise. It was funny how I heard all kind different things about the whole H1B visa process from everyone.

Lets begin!

4th Feb 2005- My Boss
Me: Will the company sponsor a H1B visa for me?
He: What is that?
Me: You see, to work with this company, I need to have a work visa, the employer files a petition the US Govt. to issue me a visa. It's basically paperwork, and you have to sign on a few places, agreeing that you need a foreign worker, and that I am better suited to this job than my American counterparts.
He: So...all I have to do is sign........ummm...thats fine!
Me: Phew!

7th Feb 2005 - A distant relative in Florida.
Me: Hey!, my company agreed to file my H1!!
He: Oh, are you sure you will get it though?
Me: Why? If the employer is on my side, what else do I need?
He: Still man, your company has to be a multinational company with atleast five thousand employees.
Me: *Duh*

18th Feb 2005 - My roommate
Me: Hey, do you know a nice immigration lawyer? I need someone to file my H1 visa on behalf of my company.
He: The one's I know only handle high-profile cases.
Me: Ohhh..I see....(*Duh*)

1st March 2005- My Mom.
Me: Mom, will I get my H1 visa? I am kind of tensed about the whole thing, there is so much to be done...
She: You'll be fine beta....god is with u, your good times have started, nothing can stop you..
Me: Hmmmm

13th April 2005 - My lawyer
Me: ...blah..blah..blah.....this is my case, what do you think?
He: Ho jaayega, no problem.
Me: What about the salary, is it in line with the prevailing wages?
He: Ya ya, even if it is not, we will find a way, don't worry, ho jaayega!
Me: And, I transferred my engineering course from India and completed my degree here..Is that fine?
He: Ya ya, not a problem, ho jaayega!
Me: The company?
He: Ho jaayega!
Me: The position? The degree?
He: Just send me all the documents, I'll do it, its a straight forward case, ho jayega!
Me: Cooool Mannnnn!!

27th April 2005 -- A relative in India
She: Vicky beta..H1 nu shu thayu??
Me: The procedure is on aunty. In a month, I should be ready to file.
She: Ohh...dont worry beta, even if you don't get it, there are lot of girls in New Jersey that i know. Just marry any U.S. Citizen , and then no tenstion for the rest of the life!
Me: Ya ok.

13th May 2005-- My lawyer
He: Arre, there is a small problem, your wages have to be ______ for satisfying labor conditions.
Me: Ohh, alright, I'll talk to my boss, should'nt be a problem.
He: Cool, let me know.
Me: Ok cool.....err wait.....if that condition is satisfied then.....
He: (interrupts)....then to HO JAAYEGA!, no problems!!!
Me: Ya right.


1st June 2005 (On the eve of applying) -- A friend of my roommate
Me: Tomorrow I am applying for my H1 visa.
He: Why are you applying?
Me: What do you mean?
He: Your application will be rejected!
Me: No it wont!!.. what the f*** do you mean?
He: The USCIS stopped accepting applications for fiscal year 2006.
Me: No they did naaat!!??
He: Yes they did! You can go ahead and apply if you want to. You will get a letter in three days saying your application was rejected.
Me: We'll see.

7th June 2005, 10.00 am EST -- My mom
She: Happy birhtday Beta!...how's your day going??
Me: Its goin great....but I just wish I did not have to wait for a few more days for the approval to come in. I could have had a real blast had my visa approval come in today!
She: Something tells me, you will get your visa today.
Me: Hahaha, how I wish you were right .....the USCIS website says it takes anywhere between 10-15 days. So its gonna be atleast more 5 or 6 days mom.
She: You wait and watch.
Me: Hahaha, ok!

7th June 2005, 4.00 pm (EST) -- My boss's e-mail

This is what I think it is...Correct??..CONGRATULATIONS!!.....

".............This case has been approved....."
Me: YooohoooO!!!!







2 comments:

Rakesh Pai said...

Congrats on your Visa, man! I'm so happy for you! Khool, dude!

BTW, looks like you've posted this post twice. Shouldn't you delete one?

Anonymous said...

one more great thing about th H1 is non of your advisor knowes including your employer what is it in fact, as a matter.nad relatives does their common job of discouraging. ohh cool , relaxed,dad