Monday, May 23, 2005

Pool Busters!

Friday Night, B-52 Sports Bar, Harrison, New Jersey.

Me and my friend entered the bar. We took a seat near the pool table and were waitin for our turn. We could see this huge group of caucasian guys and girls, who had encroached the table. It seemed like it was someones birthday. Their games went on and on and so did their orders of beers. There was this guy whom everyone called Alex. He was the undisputed champion of the lot. Out of the few games that we saw, he had a high win to loss ratio. Frankly, I thought he sucked. He was just winnig coz his friends were...err...losing.

It had been almost an hour, and we were still waiting for our turn. I walked up to Alex ( he behaved like he was the one in charge of the proceedings at the table)

Me: Hey, we've been waiting here for some time now.
Alex: Yeah, I saw that maan....(putting his arm on my shoulder and slowly walking towards a corner).....but you know waaat duude...we are gonna play till the end of the day, why donchuu try the bars across the street.
Me: What do you mean, have you reserved this table or something?
Alex: Naaah, its just that we aint gonna move from here.(winks at his girlfriend)

And suddenly, he played a horrible shot..the cue ball flew..it hit the wrong ball and a ball actually fell out of the table. I broke into laughter, and kept laughing..heading back to my table. The next thing I see is Alex following me. He came up real close to me.

Alex: Whatchu laafing at maan?
Me: That was a funny shot.
Alex: Where are you from originally?
Me: I am from India
Alex: Hahahaha....so you think you know a lot about pool?
Me: Well, I haven't played that horrible shots, I am sure about that atleast.
Alex: Oh yeah??....You know whaat?...why don't you just bang with me at the table man?..Lets do it...
Me: Naah, thanks, I am more interested in playing with my friend.
Alex: Aaaaah, cmaaan....five games...loser pays twenty.
Me: No man, not interested, thanks again
Alex: Hahahaha...I knew it, didn't I?...(He turned and mumbled) ....Middle Eastern f*****.
(That was a fit case for racist advances)
Me: Hey..hey..hey ....look man, you're drunk, don't utter another word, that's gonna get you in trouble.
Alex: Oh yeah? What you gonna do huh?...Wat you gonna do??...Challenge me at a 5-gamer maaan...
Me: Alright..I am in.

Final Score: 5-0 to Me.

Me to Alex: Hey, just coz you don't know....India's not in the middle-east alright?
Alex: Aiiight man...PEACE!

(Rakesh, if you're reading this...this one's for you my friend!)




1 comment:

Rakesh Pai said...

They can make all the uneducated racist comments they want, man. As long as they are the losers, who really cares?

Today, Ameet, Yagnik and myself caught up with a game of pool, for old times sake, at RC as usual. It had been sooo long!